Friday, 21 March 2014

Review - Hate List By Jennifer Brown


I was expecting a lot from this book, I was however a little bit disappointed. I just didn't connect with this book or with Valeria whose voice the story is told by.

The book is about a school shooting and the effect it has on the students and community who have to cope with life afterwards. I was expecting a hard hitting, heartbreaking book, with it being about such a difficult and upsetting subject. The actual event was described quite matter of fact and was upsetting, so that provoked some emotion in me but the rest of the story about Valerie coping with the aftermath just didn't appeal to me. I found her character lacking emotion and I found her quite unlikable.

What I didn't Like:
I found the characters very unlikable and hard to relate too, Valerie’s parents in particular.
There was no depth to the characters, I felt like they were just names and not people, and I think a book should make you want to know more about these characters and feel like you know everything about them.
I thought the aftermath of the shooting was very unrealistic and people’s reactions a little unrealistic.
Valerie’s character is difficult to figure out and I still don’t know what to make of her. Is she a naive girl who fell in love with the wrong guy and would do anything to prove herself to him? Is she the brave hero who saved her enemies life and the life of many others? I really don’t know!

What I did Like:
Jennifer Brown was very brave and blunt in her writing of the actual shooting and it brought out some emotion in me.
How the story told you about each victim and how they were honored at the end of the book.
That it was very honest, it isn't all rainbows and butterflies and everyone doesn't just get along after something so horrific.

I know a lot of people love this book and found it to be life changing but in all I found this book rather uncomfortable to read and I can't help but feel disappointed in it. I just couldn't relate to the book or Valerie, however I couldn't put it down and had to see it through to the end. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it and won't be buying a physical copy to add to my shelves.

Rating: 3/5


10 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, I hate when you want so much from it and it disappoints!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I hate being disappointed! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I totally get what you mean by you not hating the book, but being disappointed by it. I actually thought the book was alright too. I enjoyed reading it, but it wasn't anything special in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it wasn't anything special and after hearing so many positive things about the book I was very disappointed! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book recently after hearing so many good things about Jennifer Brown's books, and it gave me a lot of angry feels, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Yes, there were a lot of unlikable characters, though I liked Valerie well enough. I do think she was naive about Nick, and missed all the signs, but didn't deserve what happened. Her parents though... ugh. I outright hated her dad, and most of the school for that matter. I'm just not sure if that was the author's intention or not.
    Have you read any of her other books? Would you recommend them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, I feel very unsure about this book and still don't know how I feel about the whole thing. She was very naive about Nick and no she didn't deserve what happened. Don't get me started on her parents!! What horrible characters! It could well have been the authors intention, I never thought of it that way, if it was her intention than she did a really good job! I have read Thousand Words and I really liked the book, so I definitely recommend it, I have a review posted from a couple of weeks ago :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I passed on reviewing this one. Thanks for the review. :)
    she-read.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome :) Thanks for reading it! :)

      Delete
  5. I love your blog, I wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the The Liebster Award, to find out more and what you need to do follow the link to my blog!
    http://kayceeks.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/the-liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thank you for the nomination! I have previously been nominated and uploaded a post so I will answer your questions and add it to that post :) Thanks again for the nomination!

      Delete