Monday, 31 March 2014

Review - Tease By Amanda Maciel

Tease By Amanda Maciel
Expected Publication: 1st May 2014

A gripping, controversial debut about the nature of bullying.

Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault.

At least, that's what everyone seems to think when Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. But Sara is sure she hasn't done anything wrong, because Emma brought it on herself. Sara is adamant that she was the victim - not Emma.

Inspired by a true story, TEASE is a thought-provoking must-read that will haunt you long after the last page.


I received a review copy from Hachette Children's Books Via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.



I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Tease is a gutsy book that depicts an honest and realistic look into bullying and the results it can have on the people involved.  It is the first book I have read that shows the consequences of the bullies’ actions and tackles the questions of did the actions of a few lead to the suicide of a young girl? Are they responsible?

The book is well written, easy to follow and had me hooked from page one. The story is about a girl named Emma who becomes the victim of bullying after earning a reputation for sleeping around and stealing other girl’s boyfriends.  However the story is not told through Emma’s eyes, we are shown the events through the eyes of one of the bullies, Sara.

Sara has not been written in a way that the audience is made to feel sorry for her and I really liked that. She is very unlikable most of the story, she is jealous, cruel and in complete denial that she had done anything wrong to Emma. I however find she is a bit of a victim herself. Brielle, the Queen Bee and ruler of the school has taken Sara under her wing and Sara has become a victim of peer pressure and the pressure to be popular, going along with anything Brielle says and does to stay her best friend.  I found Brielle had no redeeming qualities unlike Sara who deep down had a heart and realized she had done wrong.  The book is about Sara’s denial of her actions and coming to terms with what she had done and who she had become.

I found all the characters well written and realistic and I loved the added addition of Carmichael, an outsider who becomes a friend for Sara. I would have liked to know a little more of his background and the background of Emma and why she was such a troubled girl.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was thought provoking, realistic and I shall be thinking about Tease for years to come.

Rating: 5/5


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear that it is thought provoking and that it stuck with you, I can't wait to get to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it :) Thanks for reading my review!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I think it would be very interesting to read from the perspective of the bully rather than the bullied, and I'm glad it doesn't victimize bullies, but shows why they might become one and the thoughts and feelings of them. Adding this to my TBR list! Thanks for sharing!!
    Victoria @ Chapters on a Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a really interesting read and very different from what I have read before. I hope you also enjoy the book :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. after reading this review, i added this to my TBR list!! it's one of those books where if it was a movie (probably on Lifetime) i would TOTALLY watch it, so that means it'll probably be even better as a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that means a lot! I know what you mean, when I was reading it I could picture it as a film! I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete