Thursday, 10 April 2014

Review - Black Box By Cassia Leo

Black Box By Cassia Leo
Publication Date: July 31st 2014

Three fateful encounters... Two heart-breaking tragedies... One last chance to get it right.


Over the course of five years, Mikki and Crush have crossed paths twice. Their first encounter changed Mikki's life forever, but the second left them both buried beneath the emotional wreckage of a violent attack. Mikki is left with more questions and grief than she can handle, while Crush is forced to forget the girl who saved his life.
Now Mikki Gladstone has decided she's tired of the mind-numbing meds. She books a flight to Los Angeles to end her life far away from her loving, though often distant, family.
Crush has always channeled his blackest thoughts into his music. He decides to fly to Los Angeles to record a demo of the only song he's never performed in public; a song he wrote for a girl he doesn't even know: Black Box. He has no expectations of fame and he's never felt like his life had any purpose. until he meets Mikki in Terminal B.
When their paths cross yet again, neither has any idea who the other person is - until they begin to piece together their history and realize that fate has more in store for them than just another love story.
 I received this book for review via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book based on the blurb alone and I am so glad I did, Black Box is a fantastic read!

Black box is a heartbreakingly beautiful book, a story about finding love in the darkest times in a person’s life. This is the first book I have read by Cassia Leo and I thoroughly enjoyed her writing style, it was captivating and easy to read, leaving me wanting more from the story and from her writing.

Black Box is a gutsy book which tackles a number of difficult subjects such as; mental illness, suicide, loss and rape. It tackles these subjects in such an honest and realistic way and I really enjoyed that and appreciated it as a reader. This book had me feeling all kinds of emotions and that is how a book should be, you should feel what the characters feels.

The characters in the book are well written and I felt as if I knew them. Mikki is a sad broken girl who has had so much bad thrown her way. She is a really likable character and I love the innocence to her character as she falls in love for the first time.

Crush is also broken on the inside but he stays strong and I love the relationship between Mikki and Crush and how they mend each other, being together fixes the broken pieces in them both. Together they are stronger and I think their relationship is beautifully written, Crush has some of the most amazing, quote worthy dialog I have ever read!

“I don’t believe in coincidence or fate, But I know one thing for sure your face was meant to be Burned into the deepest reaches Of my blackest memories.”

“Mikki: ‘I need you to do something for me.’
Crush: ‘I’ll do anything for you. What do you need?’
Mikki: ‘I need you to teach me how to breathe when you’re gone.’
Crush: ‘That’s a lesson I hope you never have to learn.” 

This book had me on an emotional roller-coaster and will stay with me forever.

Great for fans of Easy by Tammara Webber and Clipped Wings by Helena Hunting.

I can’t wait to read more of Cassia Leo’s works, I know I won’t be disappointed.

Rating: 5/5 


4 comments:

  1. I love well-written characters that you can really get into! I will have to check this out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too it adds so much to the story! I hope you enjoy it and thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds good Keeley. My only question is - is there a graphic rape scene in it or is it spoken of as something she went through in the past? Trying to decide whether reading it would trigger me or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great read Vi. The rape scene is quite graphic and is shown through flashbacks and spoken of in some detail, I found it quite difficult to read and upsetting.

    ReplyDelete