Friday, 4 April 2014

Review - Deadly Little Secret By Laurie Faria Stolarz

Deadly Little Secrets By Laurie Faria Stolarz

Some secrets shouldn't be kept...

Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help-but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.



Deadly Little Secret is book One in the Touch series and it kicks the series off with a bang. It's a fantastic paranormal romance full of mystery and it had me playing detective throughout the whole book!

The protagonist of the book is Camelia, a young teenage girl who is saved by a mysterious boy who she can’t help but be drawn too.  However that is the least of her problems, she is being watched and whoever is watching her is growing increasingly more unstable!

I liked that Camelia is a likable relatable character and the audience quickly can pick up a rapport with her. Her friendship and banter with her two best friends, Wes and Kimmie is enjoyable, adding humor to the story and is written in a way that is true to teenagers today.

I loved the character of Ben, the new boy in school. He is mysterious and always has an edge to him, I found myself, along with Camelia questioning if he could be trusted. I really enjoyed the budding romance between Ben and Camelia and thought it was a great addition to the story.

The author has given the book a great suspenseful feeling and really has you thinking who can be trusted?  Who is the stalker? It really keeps you on your toes and at the edge of your seat waiting to find out the answer! The chapters alternate from Camelia's point of view to the view of the unknown stalker and I thought that this was really well written. You can see the progress and anger of the stalker gradually increase and you can feel the madness set in!

I was constantly trying to solve the mystery of who the stalker was and every time I thought I had cracked the case, I was wrong! When the stalker is finally revealed, even though I had my suspicions I was still shocked!

This book had me hooked with it's mystery and twists and turns and I really enjoyed it! I can’t wait to read the next book in the series to see what is in store for Camelia next. Laurie Faria Stolarz has written a fantastic book and I can’t to read more of her work.
Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and I love boys with an edge!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a great read and so do I! I am just about to start book Two! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete