Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Review - Don't Look Back By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Don't Look Back By Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: 15th April 2014


What if you had the chance to start again...but only if you promised never to look back? Samantha is popular, rich, and seemed to have it all...until the night she and her best 'frenemy' Cassie disappeared and only Sammy resurfaced, with no recollection of who she is or what happened. Sammy's a stranger in her own life - a life she no longer wants any part of. Losing her memory is a chance to start again. Then Sammy begins receiving mysterious notes warning her about that night, urging her to not look back. But she can't let it go. As she starts poking around in her past she begins to remember...and something sinister begins to surface.



I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I would like to say a huge thank you to Hodder and Stoughton for sending me a copy of this book. I never in a million years thought my request would be accepted and I am so happy I had the chance to read this amazing book!

Don’t Look Back is a thrilling mystery that kept me guessing right up until the very end!

This is the first book I have read by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I really enjoyed her writing style, it was exciting and kept me turning the pages wanting more. I loved the atmospheric  feel  to the book, it felt mysterious and kept me on the edge of my seat trying to put all the puzzle pieces together and work out how the story was going to end.

I loved the plot to this story I really enjoy books that use the amnesia plot line.  The book is written so we as the audience are finding out what happened at the same time the main character Sam is, when Sam has a flash back it is the first time we find out that piece of the story too. It makes her a relatable character as the audience is also in the dark just like her. I like that we are shown what happened through her fractured memories.

The book had me playing Nancy Drew! I really enjoy stories with a whodunit, and Don’t Look Back has to be one of my favourite stories I have read in a long time. It’s thrilling, full of mystery and romance and left me in complete shock when the killer is finally revealed. With most books I have an idea of who the killer is but Don’t Look Back had me in suspense right until the end, I would have never have guessed the big reveal!

Jennifer L. Armentrout has given us well written and established characters. Each character has a different personality and substance and are not just names on the page as I have found in some books. I felt like I knew these characters and what they were like. Sam goes on a journey within the book, not only discovering and finding out who she used to be but realizing she didn't like the person she was and finding out who she was as a person now. I especially liked the relationship between Sam and Carson, it developed in a realistic way and was not rushed or forced, it felt genuine and sweet and I always enjoy a good romance in a book.

Don’t Look Back is everything I was expecting and more. A fantastically written mystery thriller that will keep you turning the pages!

Rating: 5/5  



4 comments:

  1. Man I really love established and well-rounded characters! I will have to check this one out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I! I hope you enioy it as much as I did :) Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. i just read a book called "then and always" by dani atkins. it's already out in the uk as "fractured" i think. it was about amnesia too. i just reviewed it and highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check it out, thanks for recommending it :)

      Delete