Monday, 7 April 2014

Review - The Moment Collector By Jodi Lynn Anderson

Expected Publication: August 7th 2014

"The yard of this house is a graveyard of moments and everything left behind is a clue. And I am here to dig."
There's a ghost haunting 208 Water Street. She doesn't know who she was, or why she's still here. She does know that she is drawn to Maggie, the new girl in town, and her friends - beautiful, carefree Pauline and Liam, the boy who loves her.
But the ghost isn't all that's lurking in Gill Creek... Someone is killing young girls all across the county. Can the ghost keep these three friends safe? Or does she have another purpose?


I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is described as a haunting mystery, I found it however to be a love story. Yes there are girls turning up dead but it's almost in the background to the actual story. The main story line is the love triangle between the protagonist Maggie, her new best friend Pauline and the boy in the middle Liam.

Maggie is a sensible, older than her time character and I think many people can relate to her character, I know I certainly can. The book is a coming of age story about first love and loss. Pauline is a carefree character, young at heart and the complete contrast to Maggie but the friendship between them works well and feels very believable. Liam is quite possibly the sweetest, most romantic character I have read about in a long time. He feels realistic and not too good to be true and I'm sure every reader would want Liam as their new book boyfriend!

I always enjoy a love triangle within a book and although I enjoyed it within this book, some aspects didn't sit well with me. I felt all was forgiven too easily and things were slightly rushed and sudden.

The book is beautifully written and the description of the setting for the story is wonderful, I felt myself transported to the quaint little town Jodi Lynn Anderson described.  Anderson is a wonderful writer and her words flow almost like poetry, it's beautiful to read. I will definitely be reading more of her works.

I have to admit overall I was a little bit disappointed by this book, I was expecting a ghost story, I didn't really get that. I feel there is something missing and I can't quite put my finger on what. The ghost aspect of the book and the twist, again is well written but I don't think it was a necessary addition to the book it all felt a little disconnected.

Overall, a good read but it just wasn't the book for me.

Rating: 3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment