Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Review - Throwaway Girl By Kristine Scarrow

Throwaway Girl By Kristine Scarrow
Expected Publication: 29th September 2014

Andy Burton knows a thing or two about survival. Since she was removed from her mother's home and placed in foster care when she was nine, she's had to deal with abuse, hunger, and homelessness. But now that she's eighteen, she's about to leave Haywood House, the group home for girls where she's lived for the past four years, and the closest thing to a real home she's ever known. Will Andy be able to carve out a better life for herself and find the happiness she is searching for?

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After reading the blurb of Throwaway girl I was expecting a hard hitting emotional story unfortunately I didn't get what I expected or wanted from this book
.
Throwaway girl is a coming of age story about a girl named Andy who has spent her life in foster care and how she is going to move on and cope after leaving when she reaches eighteen. The story is told through flashbacks to past events in Andy’s life, sharing her experiences and hardships with the audience. Throwaway girl tackles a number of difficult subjects such as abuse, loss and rape. I was expecting this book to have me in tears but I felt the character of Andy is written in a way where she is very detached from her feelings and when we are hearing about all the horrific things she has been through there is no emotion from her, leaving me as the reader also detached. Due to the subject matter I expected the book to be difficult to read at times but I felt it more difficult because of Andy’s lack of emotion. I felt like I knew her story but not how she felt about anything and I like to know what the characters felt and lose myself in the world they live in.

I also felt the story was quite rushed, I think a lot of significant events where put into the book and they weren't all needed. I felt the events that did happen needed more detail and feeling behind them.

I had such high expectations for this book and although I enjoyed it whilst reading, it hasn't stayed with me. I felt with the subject matter it should have been an emotional book and I didn't feel any emotion from the characters which let the story down for me. I won’t be buying a copy of this book but I will be looking out to see what Kristine Scarrow has to offer in upcoming books.

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award! You can visit this post to find out what to do next: http://desertrosereviewsunplugged.blogspot.com/2014/04/we-won-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Thanks for the nomination it means a lot :)

      Delete