Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - 'Gateway' Books/Authors In Our Reading Journey


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. This weeks topic is books or authors that have been influential in becoming a book addict!

I have always enjoyed reading from a young age so I will start with books/authors that got me into reading when I was younger and then move onto Books and Authors that still have me interested in reading and trying new genres!


1. Roald Dahl
I always had a Roald Dahl book with me when I was younger, I loved his writing and the amazing illustrations by Quentin Blake. My favourite books had to be Matilda, The Twits and George's Marvellous Medicine.
2. Dr. Seuss
Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss! 

3. Jaqueline Wilson
Everyone was reading Jaqueline Wilson books when I was in middle school and I decided to join in and see what the fuss was about and I have to say I loved her books and I can still remember them till this day! Cliffhanger was one of my favourites!

4. Thanks For The Sardine By Laura Beaumont
I adored this book when I was young, it was fun and I can still remember the cover!

5. The Secret Garden By Frances Hodgson Burnett
I was always fascinated by this story after watching the film so I was happy when I was given the book and it had the most beautiful illustrations inside! I adore this book and could read it again and again.

6. The Twilight Saga By Stephanie Meyer
I stopped reading for quite a while but I kept hearing everyone talking about the Twilight books so I gave them ago and I became instantly in love with reading again. I lost myself in the world and after I had finished the series I needed a new one to loose myself in!

7. Wither By Lauren DeStefano
This book really made me a fan of Dystopian books, I loved everything about this book and I wanted to read similar books. This was my gateway book into Dystopian!

8. The Splendor Falls By Rosemary Clement-Moore
This has to be one of my favourite books, I picked it up and purchased it based on the blurb alone and I loved every written word! 

9. Easy By Tammara Webber
This has to be the book that got me into New Adult books, I am constantly praising this book and is is very influential on the types of books I read now.

10. Kelley Armstrong
The Darkest Powers Trilogy is one of my favourite series ever! Kelley Armstrong's writing had me hooked and after finishing I was desperate to read more Paranormal books. 

18 comments:

  1. Twilight was my big turning point! I love hearing people say it got them into or back into reading because that's what it did for me as well! I am actually doing a reread this month and am super excited for it!

    Great list!

    Kristalyn @ The Sarcastic Palmtree
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad Twilight did that for you too :) Enjoy your reread!! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wither was so good! I didn't keep up with the series though. Loved Easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Wither, I still have to read the last book! I don't know anyone who doesn't love Easy! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Great picks! I like how twilight started our love for YA!
    Here's our TTT
    Doris @ OABR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) me too!! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. great list! roald dahl was also near the very top of mine. he was so twisted, but so wonderful, wasn't he? :) i started reading Wither once but for some reason didn't continue on past the first couple of pages. i really want to revisit it though, because the concept sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Roald Dahl was wonderful and I agree twisted! I love his work! I totally recommend Wither, its a great book! I hope you get round to reading it soon :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I just read 5 different lists and Easy is on every single one! I clearly have to get on that!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do! I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else has :)

      Delete
  7. I've always loved the film of The Secret Garden, and first read the book when I was at uni. It's now one of my all-time favourite books! Like you I could read it again and again :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch the film again now! I'm glad it's one of your all time favourites, it is such a wonderful book :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I have The Spendor Falls on my bookshelf and seeing you list it this week makes me want to dust it off and crack it open in a hurry. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Splendor Falls, I hope you read it soon! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  9. I loved Tammara Webber's Easy. I can't wait for Lucas's POV. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. :)
    Liebster Award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I am really excited for Lucas's POV too! Thank you very much! :)

      Delete
  10. I almost put Dr Seuss on my list too! I was obsessed with his books as a kid, Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson too. I read Easy recently and ended up loving it, can't wait for the next book. Great list, thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dr. Seuss! Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson are the two authors i relate to my childhood, I loved reading there books :) Easy is a fantastic book, i can't wait for the next book too! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete