Friday, 23 May 2014

Review - Beautiful Disaster By Jamie McGuire

Published: May 26th 2011

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.


Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


I have been seeing Beautiful Disaster around for a while now and have heard positive things so I thought I would give it a read for myself, I am very glad I moved it up my to-be-read pile! I read the book within a day and couldn't put it down.

Travis and Abby are complex characters with many issues and that is why I loved them so much, they aren't perfect and they don't pretend to be. Abby is a very different character to most female characters I have read about lately, she is trying to live her life in a certain way to distance herself from the past she once had. She is afraid of her connection with Travis and she is the one running away from what she feels, where as in most other books it is usually the guy doing the running from his feelings.

Travis is a frustrating character, I absolutely loved him but he kept messing up and I was so frustrated because I wanted him and Abby to have their happy ever after! He is arrogant, jealous and difficult but as soon as he falls for Abby he changes and I loved watching the journey he went on and how he changed. He has flaws, he most certainly isn't perfect and messes up an awful lot but his devotion to Abby is incredible and was lovely to read about. The title of the book explains their relationship perfectly, what they have and share is beautiful but at times it is certainly a disaster.

Beautiful Disaster is full of angst, sexual tension and falling head over heels in love. It is completely different to other books I have read, it is realistic and messy at times and it shows that love isn't easy. I really enjoyed reading about Travis and Abby on their journey, they are unlike any couple I have read before and their relationship was refreshing. A fantastic read that had me hooked from the beginning.

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I really loved this book too and can't wait to get my hands on Walking Disaster (the story told from Travis' point of view). I've seen so many negative reviews for this and I should really post my review soon to give this some love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you loved it too :) I can't wait to read Walking Disaster, I want to see what goes on in Travis' head! This book certainly needs some love, can't wait to read your review :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved this book as well and I wasn't expecting it because I always a bit derisive of YA (shame on me), simply because I hardly read it. And I also felt like they were twisting the gender roles a bit, which is always a good thing! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you did :) I really enjoyed the twisting of gender roles, it is different from anything I have read recently, which was refreshing! Thank you :)

      Delete