Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Review - Between The Lives By Jessica Shirvington

Between The Lives By Jessica Shirvington
Expected Publication: August 7th 2014
Publisher: Hachette Children's Books

For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she shifts to her 'other' life - a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she's a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she's considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other.

With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments that bring her dangerously close to the life she's always wanted. But if she can only have one life, which is the one she'll choose?

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest for review.

I requested Between the Lives based on the blurb and cover alone and I am very glad I did. Between the lives is a unique story about a girl, Sabine who lives everyday twice, swapping between two different lives.

I love the way Shirvington has given Sabine two completely different lives and personalities in each world but at the same time she is the same person. In one world she is the epitome of perfection, perfect clothes, friends and the perfect boyfriend and in the other world she is more edgy, rebellious. I love how as each day restarted she slipped into the role of whatever world she was in so easily even though they were so different.

Enter Ethan, the one person Sabine finds she can trust with her secret, someone to share her burden and support her. I really enjoyed how Ethan and Sabine’s relationship unfolded, it was not cliché’ in any way and it was a nice change to other young adult books I have read.

Between the Lives covers some difficult subjects which I was not expecting at all. I guess I thought it would be a simple paranormal romance, but Between the Lives is so much more than that. It is a story about being true to yourself and making everyday count.

A completely unique story, Between the Lives was a fascinating read, that pulled on my heart strings and left me wanting more.

Rating: 4/5


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds very interesting indeed. I may have to give it a try. Great review! And yes, that cover is very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Thank you and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. i was trying to decide whether to read this one or not. sounds good! www.she-read.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a read, I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete