Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Review - Before You By Amber Hart


Expected Publication: July 29th 2014

Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Faith Watters spent her junior year traveling the world, studying in exquisite places, before returning to Oviedo High School. From the outside her life is picture-perfect. Captain of the dance team. Popular. Happy. Too bad it’s all a lie.

It will haunt me. It will claim me. It will shatter me. And I don't care.

Eighteen-year-old Diego Alvarez hates his new life in the States, but staying in Cuba is not an option. Covered in tattoos and scars, Diego doesn’t stand a chance of fitting in. Nor does he want to. His only concern is staying hidden from his past—a past, which if it were to surface, would cost him everything. Including his life.

At Oviedo High School, it seems that Faith Watters and Diego Alvarez do not belong together. But fate is as tricky as it is lovely. Freedom with no restraint is what they long for. What they get is something different entirely.

Love—it will ruin you and save you, both.


I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.


Before you is an an amazing young adult contemporary read from an outstanding new voice. Amber Hart has given us characters to fall in love with and a plot that had me hooked.

Before You is a tale of two star-crossed lovers. Everyone thinks Faith and Diego shouldn't be together, she is a respected daughter of a pastor who doesn't want to ruin the reputation of her dad and he is an ex gang member from the wrong side of the tracks, complete opposites, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Faith is a good girl, she wears what people would expect a pastors daughter to wear, she acts the way she is expected to act and dates who other people find appropriate for her. She is living a lie, drowning in the pressure to not disappoint and to keep up appearances for the sake of her father. I like that Faith has two sides to her, the real her who is dying to break through and the fake her, the act she puts on to please everyone around her who think she should be a certain way. Faith has had troubles and has herself gone into dark place and that is why I think she connects with Diego so much, they have both been through things that have damaged them in a way.

Diego is your typical arrogant bad boy at first, he is adjusting to life in Florida after moving from Cuba, where he led a very different life inside a cartel. I loved that deep down he is so vulnerable when it comes to Faith, his feeling for her have changed him, he is a softer, more caring person. Their relationship instantly had sparks and I really enjoyed seeing their relationship develop.

Before You tackles some difficult topics such as drug abuse and gangs. I found reading about gangs interesting, I think there was a lot of information about Cuba and life in Cuba for some people that I would not have known about if it wasn't for this book. I think the gang related parts of this book were done realistically and I liked reading about them.

Before You gives us love, action and some amazing characters. I loved going going on the journey with the characters in this book, and especially with Faith who has to learn to be true to herself. I really can't wait for the next installment of this series, After Us, to catch up with the characters. Before you made me laugh, cry and most of all keep turning the pages!


Rating: 5/5


2 comments:

  1. I really love the sound of this one maybe I'll be able to grab it when it comes out.
    *Repeats I will not request this on Netgalley* :P
    Great review!
    MY WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding it so hard to not request books, I get a little overwhelmed when I have so many but I need to learn to not click the request button lol I hope you get to read it soon, it's a great read :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete