Friday, 13 June 2014

Review - Dangerous Boys By Abigail Haas

Expected Publication: August 14th 2014

Three teens venture into the abandoned Monroe estate one night; hours later, only two emerge from the burning wreckage. Chloe drags one Reznick brother to safety, unconscious and bleeding; the other is left to burn, dead in the fire. But which brother survives? And is his death a tragic accident? Desperate self-defense? Or murder?
Chloe is the only one with the answers. As the fire rages, and police and parents demand the truth, she struggles to piece together the story of how they got there-a story of jealousy, twisted passion, and the darkness that lurks behind even the most beautiful of faces…


I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Dangerous Boys was my first read from Abigail Haas and after hearing so many positive things about her writing I knew I wouldn't be disappointed, and disappointed I was not!

A thrilling mystery leaving you trying to work out the puzzle for yourself, Dangerous Boys takes you on a psychological thrill ride.

In Dangerous Boys we see Chloe’s life falling apart around her, her father has left, her mother is depressed, and she can no longer leave the small town she craves to leave so much because she feels obliged to look after her mother. Chloe’s small release from the dark world that has now become her life is Ethan, a sweet kind guy who brings out the good in Chloe. Enter Oliver…

I really liked the character of Chloe, she is going through a lot of hardship and I like how she steps up and takes care of her mother. I think it is great that Dangerous Boys tackles the subject of depression, especially in a parental figure as I think it is a subject that isn't mentioned much and it’s good to see how it affects Chloe and how she has to cope with the situation. Chloe is craving change, excitement and Oliver is that excitement and danger for her. She is influenced by him and manipulated, and we see her become a dark character which I completely didn’t expect.

Ethan is a sweet, kind lovely character, who brings light into Chloe’s life. He is devoted to her and I liked watching their relationship develop. Oliver however is the complete opposite, he is sadistic, he’s manipulative but oh so charming, and I have to say I was also drawn in by him. There is a definite spark between Oliver and Chloe, a completely different feeling to her relationship with Ethan. He brings out the dark twisted side of her.

Dangerous Boys shocked me, I didn’t see the twists and turns coming and that truly is a sign of fantastic writing! I thought I knew the characters but they surprised me and that ending, I wasn't expecting that either! I don’t want to give anything away, so read this book! It is fantastic, full of excitement and made the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. Abigail Haas has a new fan in me, and I will be reading all of her previous books!

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. I love when a book takes you by surprise, I am going to have to check this one out!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I really hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. This book looks like a great read. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete