Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Review - Take Me On By Katie McGarry

Expected Publication: 1st July 2014

Acclaimed author Katie McGarry (Pushing The Limits, Dare You To, Crash Into You) returns with a new story about love, loss and what winning really means...

Champion kickboxer Haley swore she'd never set foot in the ring again after one tragic night. But then the guy she can't stop thinking about accepts a mixed martial arts fight in her honor. Suddenly, Haley has to train West Young. All attitude, West is everything Haley promised herself she'd stay away from. Yet he won't last five seconds in the ring without her help.
West is keeping a big secret from Haley. About who he really is. But helping him fighting for her is a shot at redemption. Especially since it' s his fault her family is falling apart. He can't change the past, but maybe he can change Haley's future.

Haley and West have agreed to keep their relationship strictly in the ring. But as an unexpected bond forms between them and attraction mocks their best intentions, they'll face their darkest fears and discover love is worth fighting for.


I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am a huge fan of Katie McGarry and The Pushing the Limits series so I just had to request Take Me On and I am so glad I was accepted and had the opportunity to read this amazing book.

In Take Me On we catch up with the character of West from the previous book Crash into You. I didn’t expect Take Me On to be West’s story and I was unsure how I would take to him as a character, as I wasn't his biggest fan in Crash into You. However I found another character to fall in love with!

West is struggling with guilt he feels from recent events and after his father kicks him out, West goes to live on the wrong side of town, where he thinks he belongs. His world soon collides with Haley, a once title holding kick boxer, with plenty of baggage and problems of her own, and sparks fly.

I really enjoyed getting to know West in this book, he has a hard exterior and it constantly fighting with himself and others but deep down he is a sweet, loving guy. I love how he treats Haley with respect and how he can show his true colours with her. West has quickly become one of my favourite leading guys in the whole series.

Haley is a strong character who can hold her own, which was refreshing from the usual damsel in distress characters in most young adult books. She is haunted by her past relationship and the troubles her family have to face but is trying to hold it together and keep strong. She finds someone she can be herself with in West and they share such a strong bond. I really loved how their relationship developed and blossomed and overcomes everything that is thrown their way.

Take Me On deals with some tough subjects such as violence and I think it does so in a mature, sensitive but realistic way. Katie McGarry doesn't shy away from giving us flawed, troubled characters dealing with issues that are very real in everyday life.

Take Me On gave us the opportunity to catch up with well love characters such as Rachel and Isaiah and Abby which was a great addition to the story. 

Take Me On is another fantastic read from Katie McGarry and the perfect addition to The Pushing the Limits series. I can’t wait for the next installment, and I along with probably the rest of The Pushing the Limits fan base am rooting to see Abby’s story, she deserves her own happy ever after!

Rating: 4/5

10 comments:

  1. oh i hadn't seen that cover and i don't know how i feel about it just yet! i'm glad you happened to enjoy this one! i have to go out and buy a copy of it myself but i've been hearing good things so i'm excited ;)
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the UK release cover, I have to say i am not the biggest fan of it. Thank you, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Happy reading :)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit to giving up on these books after I DNF Crash Into You, I kind of felt it was too similar to the other two books. Happy to see you enjoyed this one though. Her books always make me want to read them, I love the blurbs for them and it's hard to resist reading this one. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crash Into You is my second favourite in the series but I can see how some people didn't like it, there is a lot of car talk and the series is very unified by the same theme but I find there are some unique characters each time. Thank you, I have not yet been disappointed by her books, however they are not for everyone :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Eeek! I'm catching up with the series right now, reading Crash Into You. Hopefully I'll get to this one soon. I just love this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Crash Into You, such a great book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I have just read Pushing the Limits and loved it! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Thank you for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a fantastic series, I hope you love it as much as I do, Happy reading!

      Delete
  5. I love it when an author can take a character you're unsure about and make you love them!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it shows how great of a writer they are! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete