Monday, 16 June 2014

Review - This Is How It Ends By Jen Nadol

Expected Publication: October 7th 2014

Riley and his friends are gearing up for their senior year by spending one last night hanging out in the woods, drinking a few beers, and playing Truth or Dare. But what starts out as a good time turns sinister when they find a mysterious pair of binoculars. Those who dare to look through them see strange visions, which they brush off as hallucinations. Why else would Riley see himself in bed with his best friend’s girlfriend—a girl he’s had a secret crush on for years?


In the weeks that follow, the visions begin to come true...including a gruesome murder. One of Riley’s closest friends is now the prime suspect. But who is the murderer? Have Riley and his friends really seen the future through those mysterious binoculars? And what if they are powerless to change the course of events?


I received this book in exchange for an honest review via Edelweiss.

I had been highly anticipating this book for quite some time so was extremely happy to have been accepted to review this book. However I was left rather disappointed and not blown away from what I thought was going to be a thrilling mystery with a paranormal twist, there was a little bit of mystery and slight paranormal twist but it was all a bit underwhelming.

This Is How It Ends gives us a group of friends, two guys and three girls who find a pair of binoculars that once looked into show visions of events that have not yet happened. The visions start coming to life, people are dying and there is a killer on the loose, the group of friends have to try work out what the binoculars really do and who the killer is.

The story is told through the eyes of Riley, he is a typical young guy who if fighting his feelings for his best friends girlfriend. I found it hard reading through a male perspective because I find most young adult books are written through a female perspective so it took a while to get used to. I couldn’t really relate to Riley or any of the characters to be honest, I felt there was so many different characters thrown at you from the beginning of the book it was quite hard to keep up with at times. They all had unique personalities but I didn’t feel we got to know the characters on a deeper level as there were too many main characters.

I did enjoy the whodunit murder mystery and I tried to figure out who the killer was but I felt the paranormal element of the binoculars was neglected at times and was not really necessary to the story.  The build up for the story was quite slow for my liking and it took me a long time to get into the book.

I did like the love triangle element, I felt it was done well and realistically but it didn’t really go anywhere. Overall I found the story to be quite slow and I although we found out about the binoculars and what they really did, I felt there was a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of the story lines weren’t tied up.  I enjoyed the book in the end but it just wasn’t for me.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really good book. I'm sorry it didn't really please you all that much. I know the feeling of anticipation and then to be let down. It sucks. Great review though!
    Jazmen@ThisGirlReadsAlotBlog

    ReplyDelete