Friday, 25 July 2014

Review - The Vincent Boys By Abbi Glines

Published: November 14th 2012

Ashton is getting tired of being good, of impressing her parents and playing ideal girlfriend to Sawyer Vincent. Sawyer is perfect, a regular Prince Charming, but when he leaves town for the summer, it’s his cousin Beau who catches Ashton’s eye. Beau is the sexiest guy she’s ever seen, and even though he’s dangerous, Ashton is drawn to him.



Beau loves his cousin like a brother, so the last thing he wants to do is make a move on Sawyer’s girl. Ashton is off-limits, absolutely. That’s why he does his best to keep his distance, even though he’s been in love with her forever. When Ashton wants to rekindle their childhood friendship in Sawyer’s absence, Beau knows he should say no.
Ashton and Beau don’t want to hurt Sawyer. But the more they try to stay away from each other, the more intense their urges become. It’s getting way too hard to resist...

The Vincent Boys is a fantastic contemporary romance that nails forbidden romance and the struggles people have to find themselves and be true to who they are.

Beau, his cousin Sawyer and Ashton are childhood friends, doing everything together until Sawyer changes the dynamics by asking Ashton to be his girlfriend. Beau distances himself from the others, gaining the reputation of a bad boy and a player and Sawyer and Ashton become the town’s quintessential perfect couple. Ashton puts on a facade, always trying to please everyone and trying to be what she deems good enough for Sawyer but underneath she is struggling and wants to be a normal teenager and have fun. Sawyer is away for the summer and Ashton is lonely…enter her oldest friend Beau. Friendships are reconnected and feelings come flooding back…sparks are about to ignite!

I knew that this book would be tackling the subject of cheating and I was concerned as to how it would play out because it’s not nice reading about someone getting hurt but I think Abbi Glines has written it in a way where we can really understand and connect with the situation and I didn’t find myself hating any of the characters that actually cheated which I thought I would. It’s written is a sensitive way and you can just see that Beau and Ashton are meant to be.

I really sympathized with the character or Ashton, she isn't a very confident person and I don’t think she had much self worth as she felt she wasn’t good enough for Sawyer. I didn’t think Sawyer was a perfect character or any better than Ashton, so I didn’t understand why she would feel this way. After always having to put on a front and being someone you’re not I was so happy when Ashton could be herself with Beau. They are so alike and they bring out the best in each other. I really enjoyed their relationship and how it developed so naturally.

Beau is such a sweetheart! I loved his character and thought he was such a well written and developed character. He isn't afraid to be who he wants to be, he’s confident and his love for Ashton is heartwarming. I can’t gush enough over how much I loved his character!
The book has some great secondary characters and isn't afraid to tackle difficult subjects such as death and cheating and I think it handled both is such a fantastic way. The Vincent Boys is quite a steamy read for Young Adult so be warned is might make you blush at times! I really enjoyed this book and the relationships between Beau and Ashton and the relationships Ashton shared with her family. 

This book gives us all an important message, always be yourself, a person should love you for who you are, good and bad, and not for who you pretend to be.

I am looking forward to reading the second book in this series and further books from Abbi Glines, The Vincent Boys stole my heart!



Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I had exactly the opposite feelings about this book. I thought it was cliche and it got on my nerves, which was a major disappointment because I had been wanting to read it for so long. I like the way you looked at it although. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I love about books, the total opposite opinions they can provoke from people. It did have some cliche moments but I enjoyed them, I am sorry you were so disappointed with it, I hate when a book I am desperate to read doesn't deliver. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review :)

      Delete