Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Review - All The Rage By Courtney Summers

Expected Publication: April 14th 2015

The sheriff’s son, Kellan Turner, is not the golden boy everyone thinks he is, and Romy Grey knows that for a fact. Because no one wants to believe a girl from the wrong side of town, the truth about him has cost her everything—friends, family, and her community. Branded a liar and bullied relentlessly by a group of kids she used to hang out with, Romy’s only refuge is the diner where she works outside of town. No one knows her name or her past there; she can finally be anonymous. But when a girl with ties to both Romy and Kellan goes missing after a party, and news of him assaulting another girl in a town close by gets out, Romy must decide whether she wants to fight or carry the burden of knowing more girls could get hurt if she doesn’t speak up. Nobody believed her the first time—and they certainly won’t now — but the cost of her silence might be more than she can bear. 

I receive this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am huge fan of Courtney Summers  so when I was accepted to review All The Rage I was super excited! In true Courtney Summers fashion, All The Rage tackles emotional and difficult subjects full steam ahead in a brave and realistic way. 

All The Rage introduces us to Romy Grey, she has been ostracised from her friends, bullied on a  daily basis and called a liar after accusing the sheriffs son of rape. I found Romy a difficult character to relate to at first, she has experienced a horrific event, is still traumatized by what has happened to her and is experiencing the fall out of her telling the truth. As the story progresses I found myself understanding what goes on in Romy's head and the way she thinks, I felt myself feeling what she feels and the difficulty she experiences.  I liked her relationship with Liam and how that progresses through the story, it's interesting to see how Romy reacts and deals with the affection that she doesn't believe she deserves or is worth. 

Along with the emotional journey Romy goes on, we also have the added story on a missing girl, Romy's ex friend. I really liked the addition of this to All The Rage, I really didn't expect it and thought it added a new layer to the book. 

This isn't just a story about a girl living through a sexual assault and trying to overcome that, it's a story about how people react to it, they treat Romy with hate and brand her a liar and slut. It really brought anger out in me the way they treat her and I know that in some situations it mirrors real life and that made me sad and left me questioning how people can react that way and feel they have the right to treat someone in such a horrid way. 

All The Rage left me wanting to know what happens next, it kept me guessing and brought out a vast variety of emotions in me which a book should do. Courtney Summers has done it again and written us another fantastic book that leaves you thinking and questioning the world we live in.

Rating: 4/5
       


4 comments:

  1. I only heard about this blog on another blog today, but they didn't mention much about what it was about, just about a girl struggling in the aftermath of an assault, but no specifics. Now, seeing the description and your review, I know this is a book I'm going to have to check out at some point. Great review, this sounds like such an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is a fantastic read, I hope you get to read it and enjoy it much as I did :)

      Delete
  2. I am SO jealous!! I love Courtney Summers and cannot wait to read this book!!! It's my most anticipated of 2015 for sure! Glad you liked it and that it sounds from your review like it's going to be the way her other books are: hard to read emotionally, leaves you with questions, gets you thinking, great writing. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney Summers is a fantastic author and this book definitely lives up to her other books. I hope you get to read it soon and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete