Monday, 9 March 2015

Review - Vanishing Girls By Lauren Oliver

Expected Publication: 10th March 2015

Dara and Nick used to be inseparable, but that was before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred and the two sisters totally estranged. When Dara vanishes on her birthday, Nick thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl, nine-year-old Madeline Snow, has vanished, too, and Nick becomes increasingly convinced that the two disappearances are linked. Now Nick has to find her sister, before it's too late.

In this edgy and compelling novel, Lauren Oliver creates a world of intrigue, loss, and suspicion as two sisters search to find themselves, and each other.


I received this book via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

As a huge fan Of Lauren Oliver I was so excited to get the chance to read Vanishing Girls and boy I was not disappointed! Beautiful writing, a mystery that draws you in and a big plot twist... I expected nothing less than from Lauren Oliver.

Vanishing Girls gives us Nick and Dara, sisters who have been torn apart by a devastating  car accident. Once best friends, they are now strangers living under the same roof.

Nick and Dara are complete opposites, in behaviour and their opinions but I found myself relating to both of them at different points within the book.  Nick is the reliable, sensible sister and Dara is the more reckless, outgoing of the two. The book focuses on the dynamic between the sisters and how they cope in the aftermath of the accident and their tattered relationship.  They are both going through the same thing but facing it in different ways, and I wanted to just shout at them you could handle it better together! That's when I know I'm hooked on a book, when I'm telling fictional characters off!

The characters are well developed and I felt like I was experiencing everything they were going through which brought out a mixture of emotions in me, which every good book should do!

There is also a missing girl leaving the reader wondering how is this relevant to the story, but when Dara disappears too, it all comes together and the suspense takes over. Throw in some romance, a strained relationship between two sisters and huge plot twist that left me speechless and you have another wonderfully written story from Lauren Oliver.

I wish the romance aspect of the story was developed a little bit more but it isn't the main focus of the book and doesn't affect the book, I'm just a sucker for the romance!

Another hit from Lauren Oliver, Vanishing Girls has lived up to my expectations and has become a new favourite!

Rating: 4/5
     

1 comment:

  1. Lauren Oliver did a wonderful job on this book! I felt so many emotions while reading it. You could tell the whole time something major was going on and that plot twist really hit me hard. What a horrible thing to go through. ): Awesome review,Keeley!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete