Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Review - This Is How It Ends By Marieke Nijkamp

Published: 5th January 2016

10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


Has a book ever blown you away and your mind keeps drifting to it weeks later?…well that the reaction I had to This Is How It Ends. A powerful and heart breaking story, that doesn't go easy on the audience.

This Is How It Ends is told through four different POVs, which at first did confuse me at times and I did find it hard to figure out which characters story we were following. All the characters are linked in some way and it takes a while to work it all out and get the characters straight in your mind as you are introduced to all of them at once.

The story is fast paced and I couldn’t stop turning the pages, my heart beating fast as the shooting unfolded. I felt the story was realistic and true to the subject matter. It wasn’t glamorized or far-fetched and that’s why I think this book has hit home to so many people. The shooting was unsuspecting and tackles a difficult subject straight on.

I wanted more background on the characters and to get to know the characters more but I think that was the idea of the book, to randomly cut in on ordinary young people’s lives and see how one individual’s actions can change everything.

This book broke my heart and I will be thinking about if for a long time, I'm looking forward to reading more from Marieke Nijkamp, I think there’s a lot of good things to come from her in the future.

Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. I have this book on hold at the library and I can't wait to read it. I know this one is going to hurt reading, but I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People keep saying good things about this books and I really like the sound of the concept. Thanks for the great review it's certainly pushing this book up my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book too. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read this book soon!! It sounds like such a "me" book. I'm glad to see you found it addicting!

    ReplyDelete